This may be the toughest job you'll ever have!
It is a 24-hour job working with kids. Be prepared to:
- Have kids surround you... when you eat, when you sleep, when you play.
- Put kids first, give kids options and be willing to accept their choices; help kids become servant leaders; and develop positive,Christian relationships with kids.
- Follow a code of conduct and be a positive, Christian role model all of the time...use positive language, smile, set a good example of serving, care, and passion for the Lord; greet people with warmth, engage in conversation with campers, parents, and visitors; and give 110% of yourself all the time.
It is community living. Be prepared to:
- Have limited personal space for storage and privacy; limited food choices, and limited time to communicate with family and friends...This is not like college dorm life with a cafeteria, vending machines, and access to computers and e-mail.
- Sleep with up to 16 other people in a cabin...complete with noises, smells, and annoying habits.
- Share a bathroom facility with campers that can range in age from 3 to 18 years of age. Expect to take cold showers, wait in line, fix sinks and toilets, change toilet paper.
- Support all camp rules and policies willingly, even if you may not agree with them at the moment. Communicate respectfully and share concerns as soon as possible.
It is Camp. Be prepared to:
- See some beautiful sunsets (and sunrises)...while dealing with ticks and mosquitoes.
- Meet friends (and perhaps a spouse) that will last a lifetime...while smelling of sweat and being dirty.
- See kids smiling, laearning about Jesus, growing in faith, learning to serve the Lord...while being physically and emotionally drained.
- Stretch yourself with new experiences, responsibilities, and opportunities...while feeling uneasy and challenged.
We are Christ-centered. Be prepared to:
- Serve others as Christ serves us...We serve because we want to and because of God's great love, we have no choice.
- Be an example in the way we talk, live our lives, treat each other as staff and our guests.
- Worship regularly...study God's word daily...sing praises to Him.
- Be joyfilled and share that joy with the children and families you work with.
- Forgive those who cause offense...be a reconciler.
- Be open to God's great plans for you.
Is this the job for you? If so, apply now by going to the NLOMA site, completing an application, designating Lutheran Island Camp. Click here.